Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Aimee!

Aimee had her birthday a couple of weeks ago but she was on vacation so the friends didn't get to celebrate until recently. Having no idea what to get the girl I went what I hope is the crafty route. When in doubt craft. I decided that since she enjoys dressing up for Halloween and zombie events as much as I do that I could make her a custom costume this year for one of our costume events. I went to the craft store and picked up this paper mache mask for a couple of bucks.

 If I would have had more time I probably could have whipped something up myself but I didn't have any time. That is also the reason that the paint just didn't turn out quite as well as I would have hoped but it worked for the project. I painted the whole thing black and then in orange glitter paint I added some decoration and this text:

"A gift for you... 1 custom costume"

On the teeth I tried to do 'Happy Birthday' but it sort of smudged together. On the jaw bone on one side I wrote "Halloween" and on the other I put "Z-Pub Crawl" to sort of indicate the events she could think about.
 In my head it is/was a really good idea but I don't know if the execution is quite what I wanted. Hopefully she will pick out a fun costume that I can make for her. She is a crafty girl herself but I know that she is busy. So what do you think is better, a highly conceptual gift that does not have instant reward or some trinket that probably would not be kept for longer than a season? I love celebrating friends' birthdays but sometimes it stresses me out. Often I will have an amazing idea of what gift to give someone that will really work (like the tote bags/necklace gift for Krista earlier this year) and other times I draw a complete blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment