Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Presents a win and a FAIL.

I made some of my Christmas gifts this year at my place of employment. It was kind of nice to go in and not have to work. I spent a couple of epic days working on some projects.

The first is a clear win. It is a platter for my grandma. She really is into Jim Shore. You know? The little wooden figurines at Hallmark and the like. Yeah that guy. Quilt motifs and such. Well my grandma also likes Santa figurines. She has a whole set of really cool ones that she painted herself and for a couple of years now everyone has been getting her Santa themed Jim Shore items. I decided to take the Santa/quilt motif idea and incorporate it into this platter.


 I free handed the Santa and then did a quilt pattern on his outfit and then a simple version of that same quilt pattern on the rim. I think it turned out splendidly and I can't wait to give it to her!

The next platter was a slight fail. There was one very similar to this as an example in our store and I decided it would be a cute gift for the family that I babysit for. The mom used to be my violin teacher and I started babysitting for them when the had only two kids. Now they have number 7 on the way!
 I was so nervous about spelling one of the names wrong that I in fact DID spell one of the names wrong. Sorry Philip, I snuck an extra l in there on ya. But overall I really like the colors and the 'bubble' technique on the background.

The next gift was a complete fail but it was in no way my fault. The paint 'shivered' in the kiln which basically means that it is just flaking off. To say I was upset is a bit of an understatement. I spent HOURS on this piece for my aunt. It is a 3 piece 'tea for one' set including a teacup, teapot, and lid. ALL THREE SHIVERED. Angry.
 It was a Jane Austen theme. I used just two colors, a creamy off-white and a deep rich brown. The top piece used the 'lace' technique. The second layer had a silhouette of Jane Austen on each side and the bottom layer had the opening quote from Pride and Prejudice. I was so proud of it. Now of course we don't have anymore of this exact piece in and I wouldn't have had time to get it done in time for Christmas anyway. I guess I just need to decide if I ever want to attempt it again.
 You can see the cracks in it.

And this is what is happening. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment