Monday, October 25, 2010

Weekend Thrifting

This weekend my mom and I spent a bit of time thrift store shopping. In one shop something caught my eye. I was transfixed by this most fabulous and ugly of items:

 Yes! A crab and seashell chip and dip platter! I was just thinking the other day about how silly those things are, how married people seem to collect them and no one ever uses them. And then I see this and it all makes sense. All my misconceptions about the functionality of the chip and dip bowl disappear as I examine what will soon become mine. I grab my mom and exclaim, "You have to see this!" I drag her over the shelf where it is innocently perched and she just replies, "Really?". Sigh.

Is it ugly? Yeah. Do I love it more than words can express? Yep. I can't explain it and I don't intend to try. In my rapture I took it home and cleaned it and stopped by the grocery store and bought some shrimp and cocktail sauce for our pumpkin carving party. My friends looked at me as though I were crazy and I wouldn't have it any other way.
When it is not being used for food perhaps I will find a place for it on my dresser for jewelry. I feel like Ariel just having it in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment