Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Holidays!

The last few days have been a whirlwind of holiday celebrations. Thanks to all my friends and family who made it such a special season! I will have to do a post about the generous gifts I received (my friends know me so well!) but today I am going to share with you a little post on what to do with some of that Christmas candy you got in your stocking.


Candy Christmas Trains!

This is a project my mom used to make when I was little. I made a few up this year to give with gifts but they would also make great party favors, gift card holders, ornaments, or place cards.

Basics:

 Candy. At the very least you need a pack of stick gum and some lifesavers. Around Christmas I buy the lifesavers in the 'holiday storybook' packs of six. I had to hunt around for the gum but the basic candy aisle in the store is your best bet. For the wheels peppermints work nicely. The 'cab' is a flatter piece of chocolate and the smoke stack is an upside down chocolate bell but a chocolate kiss works nicely as well. These are simply guidelines you can tailor it to your tastes and needs.

Now all you need is your trusty glue gun.
 The order really doesn't matter as long as it works for you but for me I always start with the gum and lifesavers, then the chocolates on top and the wheels last. Since it is hot glue it dries super quick and when you are ready to eat it you just pop off the candy.

 I made up a whole bunch for this family I babysit for...unfortunately the mom let them dig in right away and 5 minutes later the trains where decimated and I was left with 4 very sugared up kiddos! My mom used to make lots of these and I would take them to school as a treat. Since they are not strictly Christmas-y they work really  nicely for that. We just always had them at Christmas so that is what I think of when I see them.

Have fun with it and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment