Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Retro Sewing: The Dress



This is the pattern I started with. I have been sort of dreaming of a wrap dress like this for awhile now. I wanted to do the contrast style (like the black and white one on pattern). I was looking for a cool print or a bright color for the inside and then black for the outside. It needed to look awesome because I was planning on wearing it to the Rockabilly Hootenanny in just a few days.

This is how it turned out:

I wouldn't call it perfect (Project Runway material I am not...yet...) but i was still pleased with the overall look of it. I made it out of a lightweight cotton because it has been sooooo hot here recently.




This inside fabric is this badass red with blackbirds. Far away it looks like a pretty delicate pattern, up close it looks like Edgar Allen Poe tried his had at fabric design! I think it gave it just enough of a pretty goth edge to work for me.

Sadly I wimped out when it came to the day of the concert for wearing it. I will probably break it out soon though. Also now that I see where I had some evenness issues I will probably make more. I want to find a sweet Halloween print for the inside to wear as my hostess dress for my party this year. A really kitschy red and green dress would be sweet for Christmas as well. Oh the possibilities!!

What do we think? I would love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I think it turned out great! I have had this same pattern forever, but I haven't made the dress yet...I have been chicken! On a difficulty scale from 1 to 10, what number do you think this pattern is? I'd love to hear back from you.
    Angela
    www.sewloquacious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete