Monday, November 30, 2015

Christmas Tree Hat DIY


Hello everybody! I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and weekend. I did not break my personal rule of no Christmas movies/music before thanksgiving but I did get a jump on crafting...because it takes time! So today I am excited to share a simple DIY to get you in the holiday spirit. 

Christmas Tree Hat DIY:

I saw a hat similar to this in a store and thought a DIY version would be fun and easy and it was! 

What you need:
-Green hat for your Christmas tree base. You could use a premade hat or make your own! (I crocheted mine with bright green sparkly yarn using this great free pattern http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Hat-Patterns/Grey-Slouchie-Beanie )

-Yellow yarn for Pom Pom topper

-Mini Pom poms. I used a bag of glittery ones I found at a craft store to match my sparkly yarn hat, but you can choose any size/ shape you want. (Or make your own!) 

-Scissors
-Needle and thread
-yarn needle
-Two toilet paper rolls (for Pom Pom) 

1. First I made my tree topper. I used yellow yarn and this technique for making a giant Pom Pom. http://www.handimania.com/diy/2-incredible-ways-to-make-yarn-pom-poms.html 

2.

Using a yarn needle and extra yellow yarn, attach your Pom Pom to the top of your hat. 

3.

Next I layed out my small Pom poms. I put them in order so I could make sure I used all of the colors. My pack had 18 and I ended up with 2 leftover. 

I used a needle and green thread and sewed each Pom Pom onto the hat doing my best to stagger them and make it look natural. I started just above the brim and worked in rows around . 

TaDa! Your very own Christmas tree hat! I made this one for myself but they would make such cute kids hats, gifts, etc! 

I hope this little tutorial gives you some ideas for your own Christmas crafting. If you make a hat I would love to see it! After I finished this one I found a pack of smaller Pom poms so I might have to make another hat! 

Check back for more Christmas fun. I've got some new Christmas necklaces for the etsy shop coming soon. 

Happy crafting everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment